Tuesday, January 25, 2011

So you want to get into social media marketing, eh?

Brick Wall: Breaking into the Business

This post isn't so much about MY brick wall, as it is about a very common brick wall for other marketing professionals out there.  I am constantly being asked, "How can I get into social media marketing?"  Perhaps this question is coming up more often now that I'm in my new role as the Social Media Manager at CareerBuilder.  I'm quite flattered that people seek me out for this advice, especially since I still pinch myself each day wondering if I'm only dreaming that I have this job.  *Am I awake?  This is too good to be true!*  Here is a list of resources that I recommend for anyone who wants to get started:
  • FREE certification in Inbound Marketing (add to your resume!):  This was my introduction to social media marketing.  These webinars taught me how to use social media, and other online platforms, for business.  I still reference them every now and then, and honestly, I could probably use a refresher so I ensure that I haven't forgotten about some of the basic principles.
  • Books: Check out my reading recommendations below.  This is just to get started of course.  I could list a dozen more for you to read after these.
  • Podcast: - Hubspot TV:  I have a reminder on my calendar to watch this every Friday.  It’s only 30 minutes, and it’s a GREAT summary of the latest news in Internet marketing.
  • Newsletters:  I recommend signing up for these newsletter/daily emails.  Become a fan of their Facebook pages too...VERY informative and interesting!
          www.socialtimes.com

          www.mashable.com

          www.mediabistro.com

          www.allfacebook.com

          www.techcrunch.com (In order to stay up-to-date in this field, you need to follow technology and the  
          latest apps, websites, widgets, platforms, etc. that are shaping social media today.)

The next question I get is, "How do I get experience in social media marketing if my company doesn't want to break into it?"  Start a fan page for your church or a volunteer group.  Create a Twitter account or start writing your own blog (or offer to start one for a friend's business).  Whatever you decide to do, be sure to have a plan first.  Think about your topic, audience, content.  How often will you post?  What's your ultimate goal?  More fans?  Engagement with your blog or website?

It's an exciting time to be in this new and growing field!  I'm lucky to be a part of it, and I'd be glad to talk to anyone who has more questions about it.  And to my fellow social media marketers, what other resources can you add to this list for someone who wants to "break into the business?"

No comments:

Post a Comment